Study Permit

Study Permit

Studying in Canada is a dream for many students. A lot of students from all around the world enrol for different study programs at Canadian educational institutions each year. Canada is one of the renowned destinations chosen by international students for studies.

Not all educational programs require a study permit. The need for a study permit depends on the duration and level of the program you have been accepted into. Any academic, professional, vocational or other education or training that is more than 6 months in duration at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada requires a study permit. A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

Kindly note that approval of a Canadian study permit is always at the discretion of the visa officer.

Your study permit is not a visa.It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If your study permit is approved, you will be issued visitor visa as well.

What is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

A designated learning institution (DLI) is any school that is allowed to admit international students.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs and can admit students from foreign countries.

Not all post-secondary schools are DLIs, so you must check the Canadian government’s list of DLIs before applying.

The application process

  •   Choose a program: The initial step to studying in Canada is to choose an institution. When choosing it, ensure that you select one that is approved by theCanadian Government. These institutions are known as a Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs). Any school which is recognized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) will have a Designated Learning Institution Number. You will need to provide this number on your study permit application.Kindly note that all primary and secondary schools in Canada are Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) and do not require a Designated Learning Institution Number.
  •   Apply to the school: Once you have chosen an institution, then you need to apply to the program you wish to study. If you meet all of the admission requirements of the educational institution, you will be granted an acceptance letter.
  •   Apply for Study Permit: Finally with your acceptance letter in hand, you’ll be ready to apply for your study permit.

Supporting Documents

When applying for a Canadian study permit, you will be required to submit certain supporting documents as part of your application:

  •   Proof of acceptance
  •   Proof of identity
  •   Proof of financial support

You may also need:

  •   A letter of explanation
  •   a certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ)
  •   a custodian declaration (minors only)
  •   Biometrics
  •   medical exams
  •   police certificates
  •   language testing
  •   services at a Visa Application Centre, if you use one.


Government fees : CAN$150.

Biometrics : CAN$85. You may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) with your application.

Processing times : Depending on where you live, you may be able to get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) in 20days. If you are from a country other than the ones listed in SDS processing time might takes approximately 8 weeks.


m m m

Take the CELPIP Test Take the CAEL Test


Working together, to achieve results.

Book Now